Finding Tribal Codes and Ordinances
Read about tribal code research in Researching American Indian Tribal Law (from the National Indian Law Library).
Find tribal materials at NILL:
By topic or subject:
- Find provisions in 240+ tribal codes by using our custom search (at right). It will search the full text of all codes that NILL has available online as well as the table of contents of codes that NILL has available in print. Watch a 3 minute video demo on how to do this.
By name of tribe:
- Browse the NILL Tribal Law Index (organized by tribe's name) to see what is available for each tribe.
- Search for codes in the NILL Catalog. Watch a 3 minute video demo on how to do this.
Use our custom search (above) to search through the full-text of all tribal codes, ordinances, and constitutions published on our website. Watch a 3 minute video demo on how to do this.
Find materials about drafting codes or ordinances -- See our Tribal Law Drafting web page.
Find tribal materials elsewhere:
WestlawNext (fee-based) resources:
- More than two dozen tribal codes are available. See Tribal Codes on WestlawNext for more information.
Lexis-Nexis (fee-based) resources:
- Selected Montana tribal codes are available. See Lexis Directory for more information.
Selected online resources relating to tribal codes:
Tribal Law Links / Tribal Court Clearinghouse.
Tribal Government Links / USA.gov
National Directory of Tribal Justice Systems - National American Indian Court Judges Association - National directory includes contact information for tribal justice systems. May be sorted by Tribe, NAICJA Region, BIA Region or State.
Selected print sources related to tribal codes:
Tribal Criminal Law and Procedure / Carrie E. Garrow and Sarah Deer (2004). NILL Catalog record.
Introduction to Tribal Legal Studies / Justin B. Richland and Sarah Deer (2004). NILL Catalog record.