Drafting Tribal Law & Model Codes
Search the library catalog:
To find information about drafting tribal codes (includes "model codes") :
- Watch this one minute demo video OR;
- Follow this link for a sample search: http://tinyurl.com/zshgwq4 OR:
- Go to the library's online catalog and click on "Search the catalog."
- Copy/paste Tribal law drafting into the "Subject" field. (Advanced Search)
- Limit by Tribal codes.
To find information about drafting tribal constitutions:
- Same as above except limit by Tribal constitutions
To search for materials about drafting tribal compacts or agreements:
- Same as above except limit by Tribal compacts.
To search for materials about drafting tribal court rules:
- Same as above except type Court rules into the Any words field.
Print and electronic sources:
Legal Code Development Series. Tribal Law & Policy Institute. Various guides to help create or revise legal codes with a focus on crimes related to women and children.
Tribal Constitution Handbook: a Practical Guide to Writing and Revising Tribal Constitutions. Mark C. Tilden. 2007. Catalog record.
Tribal Constitutions: a Handbook for BIA [Bureau of Indian Affairs] Personnel. Catalog record.
On the Drafting of Tribal Constitutions, by Felix S. Cohen, edited by David E. Wilkins. 2007. Catalog record.
American Indian Constitutional Reform and the Rebuilding of Native Nations. Catalog record.