Tribal Court Cases of Note pre-2016
*Synopsis: Members filed appeal of decision by Enrollment Committee to remove members from membership.
*Holdings: The Tribal Court of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community, David D. Shaw, C.J., held that:
1) removal of members was to correct error at the time of enrollment, rather than disenrollment action;
2) decision to remove members from tribal membership to correct error at the time of enrollment was not arbitrary and capricious; and
3) members' due process rights were not violated during procedure to remove them from tribal membership.
Related Law Review article: Christman v. Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde: A chapter in the disenrollment epidemic
Author: Minke, Tabitha
Source: 41 Am. Indian L. Rev. 201 (2016)
*Synopsis: Father brought custody action, seeking joint legal custody with primary physical custody with him, with reasonable access and visitation to mother, and mother subsequently filed custody proceeding in state court.
*Holdings: Following hearing on jurisdiction, the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Court, Thomas J. Londregan, J., held that:
1) tribal court had jurisdiction over custody proceeding, and
2) tribal court would not defer to Connecticut's jurisdiction.
Search the Indian Law Bulletins:
The Tribal Court Bulletins are a collaboration of the National Indian Law Library and the American Indian Law Clinic at University of Colorado, Boulder.
Indian Law Bulletins are a current awareness service of the National Indian Law Library. The purpose of the Indian Law Bulletins is to provide succinct and timely information about new developments in Indian Law. See the "about" page for each bulletin for specific information on monitoring, content selection criteria, and timeliness of publication.
Learn more about the Tribal Courts bulletin.
A note about links used in this document:
Blue links are to information available free on the Internet. Green links are to information available on Westlaw, for the convenience of those who have a Westlaw account. The library is not affiliated with Westlaw.
* Synopsis and holding provided under an agreement with Westlaw.