Requests for Help

Below are some of the most common requests for help that we receive.

Although we would like to, we are not able to provide help for all of the hundreds of requests that we receive each month. Therefore, we have made these help guides available through our website or the website of our library, the National Indian Law Library.


Icon: Gavelfinding legal help

tracing your family’s roots

enrolling as a member of a tribe

child welfare

rights for Native American inmates

wearing eagle feathers at graduation


Other Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Legal Assistance from NARF

NARF Staff Attorneys practice in specific areas of law, which do not include criminal representation or family law. If you would like to learn more about NARF’s practice and how to request legal help, visit:

  • Payments to Indian people

Contrary to popular belief, Indians do not receive payments from the federal government simply because they have Indian blood. Funds distributed to a person of Indian descent may represent mineral lease income on property that is held in trust by the United States or compensation for lands taken in connection with governmental projects.

Some tribes also provide benefits to their members.  Check with your tribe for more information.

See also, the Bureau of Indian Affairs Financial Assistance and Social Services at

  • Cobell Case / Indian Trust Settlement

Please see regarding the Cobell Indian Trust Settlement.

  • Domestic Violence

By calling 1-844-7NATIVE (1-844-762-8483) callers affected by intimate partner violence can be connected with a StrongHearts advocate trained to provide confidential, culturally appropriate advocacy and referral tools at no cost.  More information is available at their website at

StrongHearts Native Helpline:





(Law, Genealogy and other icons by Icons8)

  • Better Business Bureau Accredited Charity
  • Charity Navigator: 3-Star Charity
  • Guidestar Transparency Seal