NARF invites 3L law students, recent law school graduates, and those with judicial clerkships to apply for sponsorship for a post graduate public interest fellowship. Postgraduate fellowships are a primary launch pad for entering the public interest and public service job markets. They also are a pipeline for new attorneys to obtain critical training, experience, networks, and education, and they often lead to permanent public interest positions.
NARF sponsors applicants to fellowships funded by organizations such as the Skadden Fellowship Foundation, Justice Catalyst, the Berkeley Law Foundation, and fellowships offered directly by law schools (but not Equal Justice Works at this time).
Fellowship sponsorships are highly competitive. Applicants are encouraged to review funding and project criteria on funder websites.
To request NARF sponsorship, please submit the following materials to email@example.com:
- Cover letter expressing interest in working with NARF and relevant experience in federal Indian law
- Description of the proposed project. Note: It is not necessary to have a fully-developed proposal at the sponsorship request stage. If selected for an interview with NARF, the applicant should be prepared to discuss the legal issues their proposal will address.
- Law school transcript
- Two legal writing samples (includes legal memos and law review articles)
- Contact information for three references, two of whom must be academic or professional
Important dates and additional information:
- For NARF sponsorship for the 2022 Skadden Fellowship application cycle, the deadline to submit application materials listed above is Friday, July 1, 2022.
- For the 2022 Skadden Fellowship application cycle, NARF seeks applicants with projects focused on (1) voting rights in Indian Country, (2) environmental and climate issues that impact tribal or traditional lands and waters, and (3) racial equity. Other project areas and ideas are welcome, but may not receive priority.
- For Justice Catalyst, the Berkeley Law Foundation, and other fellowship programs, please submit the materials listed above no later than eight weeks before the fellowship deadline or sooner. Late requests for sponsorship are strongly discouraged and may have a negative impact on the consideration of a request for sponsorship from NARF.
Applicants may send questions about NARF’s fellowship application process to firstname.lastname@example.org.