Mashpee Wampanoag - Tribal Constitution Table of Contents
Cerified: June 28, 2004
The tribe has not given permission for the full-text of the constitution to be made available online. Please contact the library for assistance.
Table of Contents
Constitution of the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe (2004)
Article I. Name, Definitions.
Article II. Jurisdiction.
Article III. Tribal Member.
2. Ineligibility for Tribal Membership
3. Enrollment Committee
4. Appeal from Denial of Tribal Membership Application
5. Automatic Forfeiture of Tribal Membership
6. Removal from Tribal Membership Roll by Tribal Council
7. Relinquishment of Enrollment
Article IV. Elections.
1. Voter Requirements
3. Regular and Special Elections
4. Election Committee
5. Election Ordinance
6. First Election
Article V. Tribal Government Powers.
1. Separation of Powers
2. Tribal Council's Powers
3. Tribal Judiciary's Powers
4. Ethics in Tribal Government
Article VI. Tribal Council.
1.Compostion, Qualifications, Terms of Office, Officers and Committees
2. Enumerated Powers of the Tribal Council
Article VII. Duties of Officers.
1. Duties of the Chairperson
2. Duties of the Vice-Chairperson
3. Duties of the Secretary
4. Duties of the Treasurer
5. Duties of the Committees or Appointive Offices
Article VIII. Vacancies and Removal of Tribal Officials.
2. Expulsion and Suspension of Tribal Council Members
3. Automatic Vacancies
4. The Filliing of Vacancies
5. Tribal Judiciary Excluded
6. Succestion to Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
Article IX. Procedures of the Tribal Council.
1. Meetings of the Tribal Council
2. Ordinances, Resolutions, and Motions
3. Posting Procedure
4. General Tribal Membership Meeting
Article X. Tribal Judiciary.
2. Appointment and Term of Office
4. Qualification and Disqualifications
5. Removal from Office by Tribal Council and Automatic Vacancies
6. Rules of Tribal Courts
7. Records and Court Clerk
Article XI. Civil and Aboriginal Rights.
1. Civil Rights
2. Aboriginal Rights
3. Rights Retained by the People
Article XII. Initiative and Referendum.
1. General Authority
2. Results of Election
Article XIII. Amendments.
Article XIV. Certificate of Results of Election and Savings.
II. By-laws of the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal Council, Inc.
III. Certification of Constitution and Bylaw Votes.