Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Tribal Code
Chapter 1. General Provisions
This Ordinance is enacted by the Tribal Council of the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska in accordance with Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution of the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-1-1, PTN Code § 10-1-1
The purpose of this Ordinance is to provide rules, regulations, and procedures governing the enrollment of eligible individuals into the membership of the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-1-2, PTN Code § 10-1-2
The following definitions apply to this Ordinance:
(1) “Applicant” means the individual named on a submitted application for enrollment.
(2) “Application” means an application for enrollment approved by the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Enrollment Committee.
(3) “Birth certificate” means a state certified birth certificate (with raised or stamped seal), signed and certified by the authority issuing it, which is not in any way altered or otherwise illegible.
(4) “Chain of custody” means documentation of a record of individuals who have had physical possession of the evidence and the process used to maintain and document the chronological history of the evidence. (Documents can include, but are not limited to, name or initials of the individual collecting the evidence; each person or entity subsequently having physical possession of it; dates the items were collected or transferred; from where the item(s) were collected; agency and case number; and a brief description of the item.)
(5) “Committee” means the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Enrollment Committee established in accordance to the terms of this Ordinance.
(6) “Constitution” means the Constitution of the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska.
(7) “Death certificate” means a state certified death certificate, signed and certified by the authority issuing it, which is not in any way altered or otherwise illegible.
(8) “DNA” is the acronym for Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid, which is the nucleic acid that carries the genetic information in the cell and is capable of self-replication and synthesis of ribonucleic acid “RNA” and which may be used to determine parentage or kinship for purposes of this Ordinance.
(9) “Enrollment” means official action taken under the terms of this Ordinance making an individual a member of the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska.
(10) “Incompetent” means an individual eighteen (18) years of age or over who is incapable of managing his or her own legal, financial, and personal affairs as determined by a physician or a court of law.
(11) “Member” means an individual who is enrolled with the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska in accordance with the terms of this Ordinance.
(12) “Minor” means an individual under eighteen (18) years of age.
(13) “Sponsor” means a parent, legal guardian, next of kin, or Tribal Official filing an application for enrollment on behalf of a minor or incompetent.
(14) “Tribal Council” means the governing body of the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska in accordance with Article IV of the Constitution of the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska.
(15) “Tribe” means the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-1-3, PTN Code § 10-1-3
All records/knowledge related to enrollment and individual membership in the Tribe shall remain confidential. Information contained in any record that is protected by confidentiality may be released only upon a signed release of information from the individual whose record is sought to be reviewed. The Enrollment Office may release information to the departments defined as routine users stated in Section 10-1-5 of this Chapter. The Enrollment Office and Committee shall have access to such records only as is necessary to fulfilling duties under this Ordinance. Records related to individual enrollment or membership shall not be removed from the enrollment office. Any tribal member or applicant may request information pertaining to his/her enrollment or the enrollment of his/her minor child or incompetent.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-1-4, PTN Code § 10-1-4
The enrollment office may release names, addresses, dates of birth, social security numbers, enrollment numbers, and blood degrees of any enrolled member to the following departments within the Tribe only if the information is necessary for them to carry out their duties:
(1) Tribal Health Department;
(2) Cultural Affairs Department;
(3) Tribal Social Services Department; and
(4) Education Department.
No other departments or parties may obtain enrollment information unless in accordance with Section 10-1-4 of this Chapter.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-1-5, PTN Code § 10-1-5
For purposes of maintaining a record of tribal actions on applications, relinquishments, acknowledgments of paternity, deaths, etc., the Committee and Enrollment Office shall use and maintain a “membership index card” file. Family trees will be developed and placed into each members file as completed. The membership roll as established and maintained by the Committee shall be the official record of membership in the Tribe and shall be utilized for all tribal purposes.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-1-6, PTN Code § 10-1-6
The Enrollment Office shall make any corrections of typographical or other types of errors and new information as required to maintain the membership roll, some corrections/updates include but are not limited to the following:
(1) Date of birth;
(2) Name change;
(3) Family relationships;
(4) Revisions of degree of blood;
(5) Removal from membership roll due to death; or
(6) Relinquishment from the Tribe.
All corrections/updates made shall have documentation to support the changes being made.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-1-7, PTN Code § 10-1-7